It’s been a few weeks since all three of the No Better Nerds were all present at the same time, on the same show! What’s on deck for this episode?
- Early reports from hands-on with the new Samsung Galaxy S8 seem to indicate that the new facial recognition feature on the S8 can be bypassed with a photo. Samsung did mention that not all features on the S8 can be unlocked with facial recognition; notably mobile payments and accessing the devices secure folder require the use of the device’s other biometric features to access.
- It turns out that LeEco isn’t LeBuying Vizio after all. Heck, they’re having difficulties making March payroll for their US employees (all 500 of them)
- Is Verizon spying on you? Yes! No! Maybe… The EFF originally pointed out that Verizon was going to be installing a launcher called “AppFlash” on their Android handsets that would allow Big Red to monitor which apps you use, where you go on the Internet and more. Verizon clarified their position saying they were going to be conducting a trial of AppFlash on the LG K20 V and it would be opt-in only. So… good news?
- Amazon is partnering with brick and mortar stores to introduce Amazon Cash. You roll into a store, show them a barcode on your smartphone (or even print it out on a piece of paper) and then give them cash. The money ($15 to $500 in a single transaction) is instantly available on your Amazon account to spend. Interesting concept and one Amazon hopes will help them reach an estimated 27% of unbanked and under-banked Americans.
- Last week, Tesla’s market value eclipsed Ford’s at a staggering $47.8 billion USD. This week, Tesla’s market value surpassed GM’s as a whopping $51 billion. The market and investors love Tesla, apparently. How high can they go? Fun fact, in the first quarter of 2017 Tesla built and sold 25,000 vehicles against GM’s 690,000.
What we love
Jacob loves the book “Flash Boys” by Michael Lewis (author of The Big Short and Moneyball). A fascinating look into high-frequency trading (HFT) on Wall Street. http://amzn.to/2owuDkz
Todd loves the icon theme pack for Android; Velur. It’ll cost you a buck to re-theme your phone. Cheap! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vertumus.velur
Jeff loves his Clockwork Synergy Blue Vintage Leather band for his Apple Watch. https://www.clockworksynergy.com/shop/tech-straps/straps-for-apple-watch/premium-leather/blue-vintage-leather-bands-apple-watch/
The post Ep. 122 – Parchment paper with greasy spices appeared first on No Better Than Average.